Field of Art: Textile Art
Icelandic Artist Thuridur Ros Sigurthorsdottir (Thury) questions the accepted constructs of our everyday reality to produce works that are quietly poetic gestures more in line with a moment than a movement. Her sculptural installations and images reflect the sensation of a natural occurrence. One that in revealing its secrets produces keener questions for those who are its witness.
After receiving her BA in Woman’s Wear from Central Saint Martins in London Thury worked as a designer both individually and in collaboration with the label Scandinavian tourist and design collective Vík Prjónsdóttir exhibiting her projects and pieces internationally. In 2008 She completed her MFA in Fine Arts at the School of Visual Arts in New York City where she currently lives and works.
Grants & Awards (2010 to present)
- 2015 Best Product, The Reykjavik Grapevine Product Awards, Iceland. Vík Prjónsdóttir
- 2014 HönnunarSjóður Íslands. Vík Prjónsdóttir
- 2014 Rannís, Icelandic Research Fund. Vík Prjónsdóttir
- 2011 Best Product Line, The Reykjavik Grapevine Product Awards, IcelandInnovation Award, The Association of Craftsmen in Reykjavík, IcelandImpra, grant for entrepreneurship, Innovation Center Iceland. Vík Prjónsdóttir
- 2010 DV Cultural prize for Design. Vík Prjónsdóttir Grant from the Trade Council of Iceland. Vík Prjónsdóttir Aurora Design Fund,Vík Prjónsdóttir Selected one of “40 Bright, young, international designers” the American magazine I.D.Vík Prjónsdóttir
Selected projects and exhibits (2010 to present)
- 2015 Kyrralíf, Listasafn Reykjavíkur, D salur.
- 2015 Two Person Show, Ingólfur Arnarsson + Þuríður Rós Sigurþórsdóttir, Skaftfell, center for visual Art.
- 2014 In Production, BOX, Arhus, Denmark
- 2014 “I’ve never seen figurative electricity” Asmundarsafn, Reykjavik Art Museum
- 2013 Parlor Show, Smidjustigur 10 Reykjavik
- 2013 Vík Prónsdóttir & Eley Kishimoto, Design Mars, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 2012 Hinumeginn, Hafnarborg,Sverrissallur
- 2011 Nordic Fashion Biennale, Nordic Heritage Museum Seattle
- 2011 Scarf Factory, Design Mars, Reykjavik, Iceland
- 2011 Chinese take Out, Art In General, New York, NY
- 2010 Hidden World, Spark Design Space, Reykjavik, Iceland 2010 Nature in Design, Ljósafoss Power Station, Iceland, Possible Press Project, New York, NY
- 2010 Possible Press Project, New York, NY
- 2010 Performance at Stockholm Design District Party, Stockholm Design Week